Monday, January 31, 2011

Opinions

Differing opinions make me happy. I am not always delighted by an opposing point of view... especially if it comes from my daughter when she decides she doesn't want to move when already late and really in need of some hurry. Wishing I could intravenous some of my adrenaline into her then! ;)

But, it is good to have someone else's perspective.

Maybe, it's the knowledge that I don't always have to be right. Or, the challenge that comes from another's well-thought out rebuttal to a yet unchallenged idea or belief. Whatever the case, a differing opinion can bring me to a place of change or solidify what I already believe as true.

I like people. I like knowing what others think. How they tick. At least, a bit of how another mind works, thinks, feels, believes.



We are all so different.
I love colour. Bright, vivid hues make me happy! My cousin looks at me in disbelief and shock when I show her my kitchen's multi-coloured chandelier. I can see her thought processes: "Wow! That's tacky!" When I visit her home, I discover that she likes sage green and soft soothing tones of brown and beige.

Personality, age, cultures, loves, hopes and belief systems. We are so varied. Each of us individual. Yet, so similar. It's interesting that our differences are often what keep us apart.

Accepting those differences, which isn't the same as approving of every difference, is what brings us together to find those things that we can bond on - the common ground... and the not-so-common.

No comments:

Post a Comment